Thursday, April 17, 2008

Redwood Memories Socks

Nothing fancy with these - I just wanted a simple pair for an easy "on the go" project plus I was playing with some new techniques, especially with my short row heels so I just went for a very basic p1,k4,p1 pattern. Knit toe up, two at a time, two circular needles.

Pretty far along......and actually on a handwoven towel that was handy because it needs hemming to finish it off ;-). The colors didn't show up terribly well in the lighting I was in though. Will have to try for some proper daylight with the finished photo(s).

I like short row heels but I have had some troubles with having holes on one side and wanted to find a way to correct it other than just sewing it together when done! For those interested in such things I tried Priscilla Gibson-Roberts short-row heel technique this time (that adds yarn overs per end stitch instead of wrap stitches) but it still wasn't fixing the problem. My answer? Instead of just doing a K3tog to consolidate the extra purl-side stitches into the proper number in the second half of the heel, I tried a slip 2, k1, pass the two slipped stitches over. It works ;-).

Started: 2/20/2008
Finished: 3/31/2008
Project Name: - Redwood Memories Socks
Yarn used: Knit Picks 100% Merino Fingering weight; Redwood Memories
Yarn source: Knit Picks
Needles: Size 2, circular (2, 24")
Gauge: 8.5 stitches/inch & 10.5 rows/inch
Size: Women's med/large
Pattern name/source: My own, basic
Other notes, including techniques used: Two at once, toe up, two circular needles. Short row heels - worked out new technique (new to me, somebody else has probably done it before)

Picture of completed socks coming soon.......

No comments: