Thursday, April 17, 2008

White Peacock Feathers

I bought this pattern at the end of February and may make it in a second color as well. But I liked the idea of all white peacock feathers. And yes, if you didn't already know, there really is such a thing as a pure white (not albino) peacock! Have a look....

The pattern (Fiddlesticks Knitting) was purchased from The Needle Arts Book Shop.

The yarn is perfect for the project.....exactly what I had wanted and not the easiest thing to find! I'm using a white 50/50 cashmere/viscose 2/28 yarn from Colourmart. There are several things that make this yarn special. The cashmere is an obvious one, hehehe. It's not actually a blend, one ply is cashmere and the other is the viscose, giving a shine to it but more subtle than having the blend. It's still in spinning oil so on top of the usual "squished lace" effect, you won't get the full picture of how it will look, except for the swatch. When washed, it blooms beautifully. And, as usual for lace, it takes "dressing" to really get the full effect of the pattern.

This might turn out to be a wedding shawl - hence the white yarn. But I love the effect with this particular yarn in any case so maybe my sister will like another option better and I can keep it, hehehe.

I started this one March 15 with this swatch:

Well hmmmm - I have a picture of that somewhere - will add it later.

Early progress......

You can see I was playing with lifelines here - got rid of them though, they were getting on my nerves a lot more than they were helping ;-).

More recent progress:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't know if you are a Harry Potter fan, but the Malfoy mansion had white peacocks running around the grounds...anyway, I am in awe of anyone who can knit lace like you! Great photos.

larascreations said...

Glad you like it :-). Sorry it took me so long to answer - I'm still getting the hang of all this blog stuff! I had completely forgotten the peacocks at the Malfoy's.....but love the HP books.